Earth Day March for Science Rally and Teach-Ins to Take Place
April 22 on National Mall in Washington, D.C.
Sponsor Partner Organizations include The Nature Conservancy, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), American Chemical Society (ACS), Defenders of Wildlife, National Audubon Society, and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and More.
The first Earth Day was established as a result of the warnings scientists had been making for years about our environment. And on this April 22nd, which also marks the first anniversary of the Paris Climate Agreement, Earth Day Network will continue to recognize the concerns and the work of dedicated scientists by co-organizing the March for Science Rally and Teach-Ins on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
“This year’s theme for Earth Day worldwide is climate and environmental science literacy, which is why the rally and teach-ins on the National Mall are particularly meaningful, it is fitting that once again this year, Earth Day serves as a vehicle for mobilizing concerned citizens – not only on April 22nd, but throughout the year.” Kathleen Rogers, president of Earth Day Network
Featured Speakers Will Include:
• Anousheh Ansari – Co-Founder and CEO of Prodea Systems, the first female civilian astronaut, international Space Ambassador, serial entrepreneur and philanthropist
• Jamie Rappaport Clark – President and CEO of Defenders of Wildlife
• Christiana Figueres – Former Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) known for her leadership on the Paris Climate Agreement
• Mona Hanna-Attisha – Director of Hurley’s Pediatric Residency Program, known for her role in revealing the Flint Water Crisis
• Denis Hayes – President of the Bullitt Foundation, Board Chair Emeritus of Earth Day Network and organizer of the first Earth Day in 1970
• Rush Holt – CEO of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
• Rachel Kyte – Special representative of UN Secretary General and CEO of Sustainable Energy for All
• Maya Lin –Artist, designer, sculptor known for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
• Albert Yu-Min Lin– Co-Founder and Chief Science Officer, Planet3, Nat Geo Explorer and a UC San Diego research scientist in technology enabled exploration
• Michael Mann – Distinguished Professor and Director of the Earth System Science Center at Penn State
• Leland Melvin ¬– Astronaut and S.T.E.A.M. explorer
• Mark Tercek – President and CEO of the Nature Conservancy